Two historic research ranches in southern Alberta have officially changed hands, and that’s giving scientists from the University of Alberta assured access to study two large rangelands.
The land areas are the Onefour and Stavely Research Ranches, located in the southeastern corner of the province and southwest of Nanton, respectively. Established by the Canadian government in 1927 and 1947, they were dedicated to ranch and livestock fieldwork until Agriculture Canada decided three years ago to close them.
Today, the signing of the memorandum of understanding was announced between the University of Alberta and Alberta Environment and Parks, which will allow these working landscapes to be managed by the province of Alberta and be reborn as centres concentrating on improving rangeland management, promoting long-term rangeland economic and environmental sustainability, and conserving biodiversity.
Read more about the Memorandum of Understanding for Stavely and Onefour.
Watch the Stavely and Onefour Event.